THE SISTERS OF MERCY 1894 - 1938
A Brief History:
The Mercy Sisters had worked along side the Carmelites since 1894 operating a day and boarding school for the community. The present monastery building and grounds were sold to the . Sisters of Mercy in 1897 and the building was used as their living quarters and chapel. They went on to improve the property creating a quadrangle facing Stanton.
The sisters operated Our Lady of Mercy Academy and nunnery for the next forty-four years. It was the school of choice for the farm and ranch families in the area and as far away as Oklahoma and New Mexico. The buildings were severely damaged by a tornado in 1938 and the decision was made to sell the property.
Today the only building standing is the original 1884 adobe monastery structure with its Gothic pointed windows. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a Registered Texas Landmark. It has been described as one of the finest historic adobe buildings in the entire southwest